Visitors to our venues may notice the decorative tiles in our entrance corridors on Church Street. The mosaic floors and highly decorative tiles were designed and installed by the architect G Harold Elphick in 1906, when the building was being used as an assembly rooms.
The turquoise and pale green interlocking tiles, known as the Jackfield tile were made by Craven Dunnill. What many people don’t know is that the Royal Pavilion Estate is not the only place that these tiles feature. Elphick was also the architect of the Nevill's New Broad Street Turkish Baths in Spitalfields, which was built in 1894-1895. The highly patterned interior features several of the same tiles that we see in our corridors and the Jackfield tiles feature inside the baths. Find out more about Nevill's Turkish Baths.
During work at Brighton Dome in 2002, tile makers Craven Dunnill of Jackfield helped with the restoration of our treasured hallways.