The Teaches of Peaches - 7 Things You Need to Know About Peaches
12 Nov 2013
As you may have heard, Sat 14 Dec is going to be something of a Peaches celebration here at Brighton Dome. Bringing a close to our fantastic earsthetic collection the iconic Canadian artist is heading to the Corn Exchange with a dynamic double bill of her acclaimed film Peaches Does Herself followed by a DJ/MC set. From the outset of her career, Peaches has endeavoured to challenge social norms throughout a variety of artistic disciplines. Naturally a lot has snuck under the radar and with this in mind, here’s seven things you may not have known about Peaches:
- Her film Peaches Does Herself began life as a play. Peaches has actually written two plays, the other being Peaches Christ Superstar: an attempt at a one-woman rewrite of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice’s rock opera.
- She became the poster girl at the forefront of the ‘Electroclash’ genre, which is actually now recognised in dictionaries:
a type of electronic music, originating in the first decade of the 21st century, that combines modern techno with synthesizer music characteristic of the 1980s
- The 'Electroclash' genre died a pretty swift death and Peaches now claims to be the queen of ‘Electrocrap’.
- F*** the Pain Away has been used throughout a myriad of pop culture and perhaps most surprisingly of all ended up as a catwalk soundtrack for both Prada and Givenchy in 2001. The song has since featured in Lost in Translation and South Park.
- Peaches was one of the first women to work with Cynthia Plaster Caster, who famously makes plaster molds of musician’s genitals. Her chest was molded and joined an illustrious troupe of sexual organs including donations from Jimi Hendrix and Frank Zappa.
- Before deciding to pursue music on a full time basis, Peaches was a children's music and drama teacher at a Jewish primary school.
- Peaches was born Merrill Beth Nisker. Her pseudonym is derived in reference to Four Women by Nina Simone at the end of which Nina shouts 'my name is Peaches'.
Peaches Does Herself will be shown at Brighton Dome Corn Exchange on Sat 14 Dec. Also don't miss Peaches DJ/MC Extravaganza on the same date.