Designed in 1935 by architect Robert Atkinson, the Studio Theatre was originally used as a ‘Supper Room’, with kitchens to serve functions, meetings, and dinners. In the late 1950s it was converted into the Pavilion Theatre for smaller performances, and in 2012, the space was renamed as the Studio Theatre.
Studio Theatre welcomed back audiences for workshops, performances and community participation.
The finished Studio Theatre now features state of the art sound and lighting technology, a new balcony and retractable floor seating.
Work continued on the Studio Theatre's new balcony.
The original copper roof was replaced to protect the interior of the building for years to come.
The Studio Theatre's plaster ceiling was replaced with a new, historically accurate version.
The exterior of the Studio Theatre was restored using a specialist conservation method to avoid damaging the brickwork.
The original windows in the Studio Theatre
Restoration of the crenelated windows, an original feature mimicking the character of the neighbouring Royal Pavilion, began.
Steel foundations for the new balcony were installed.
Work on the ground floor beneath the Studio Theatre started. This area is now a restaurant run by our partners Redroaster, in homage to the Studio Theatre’s history as a supper room.
The back wall of the Studio Theatre was completely knocked through, giving a direct view in to the Corn Exchange below.
Works on the basement of the Studio Theatre began, including for a new kitchen area.
The Studio Theatre was completely stripped of staging, seating, technical equipment and fixtures in preparation for the building works to begin.